Rachel M.B. Collopy, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Education
School of Education and Health Sciences: Teacher Education
- Location: College Park Center, Room 680C1
- Phone: 937-229-3389
- Email: Contact
Please email me at email@example.com.
- Ph.D., Education & Psychology, Combined Program in Education & Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A., Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A., Smith College
- Preparation of teacher candidates to work with students living in poverty
- Teacher development embedded in school-university partnerships
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Bowman, C., Collopy, R. M. B., Bentley, J., Cameron, E., & Taylor, D. A. (2013). Urban PDS Partnership: Preparing Teachers for Social Justice. In K. Zenkov, D. G. Corrigan, R. S. Beebe, and C. R. Sell (Eds.), Professional Development Schools and Social Justice: Schools and universities partnering to make a difference. New York: Lexington Books, Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group.Read online >>
- Collopy, R. M. B., Bowman, C., & Taylor, D. A. (2012). The educational achievement gap as a social justice issue for teacher educators. Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice, 16(1), 4-25. Read (pdf) >>
- Collopy, R. M. B. (2011). Preparing Teachers to Work with Students from Poverty. Nanjing University, Nanjing, PRC China.
- Fentress, J. C., & Collopy, R. M. B. (2011). Promoting resiliency among first-generation college students. Mentor: An academic advising journal, 13. http://dus.psu.edu/mentor/110216jf.html
- Collopy, R. M. B., Bowman, C., & Dinnen, J. L. D. (2010, April). Teacher Candidates' Preconceptions of Urban Schools, Majority Minority Schools, and High Poverty Schools and Students. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver.
- Bowman, C., & Collopy, R. M. B. (2010, April). Developing Preservice Teachers in Urban Settings. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver.
- Collopy, R. M. B., & Arnold, J. (2009). To blend or not to blend: Online-only and blended learning environments. Issues in Teacher Education, 18(2):85-101.
- Dinnen, J. L. D., & Collopy, R. M. B (2009). An analysis of feedback given to strong and weak student writers. Reading Horizons, 49(3):239-256.
- Collopy, R. M. B., & Kelly, M. K. (2009). Answering the mandate and then some: Lessons learned from embedding value-added outcomes in the teacher licensure curriculum. Ohio Journal of Teacher Education, 22(2):32-40.
- Collopy, R. M. B. (2008). Professional development and student growth in writing. Journal of Research in Childhood Education, 23(2):163-178.
- Collopy, R. M. B., & Spencer, S. (2008). Raising the writing achievement of students placed at risk. Academe, 1(1):57-74.
- Collopy, R. M. B., & Bowman, C. (2008). Teacher candidates' perceptions of urban schools and students. Ohio Journal of Teacher Education, 21(1):25-30.
- Collopy, R. M. B. (2007). Strategic moves: Making professional development count. School Business Affairs, 73(2):15-17.
- Collopy, R. M. B., & Bowman, P. (2005). But did it make a difference? Adding the assessment component in a professional development school partnership. Teachers as Leaders, 6:36-42.
- Collopy, R. M. B., & Bowman, P. (2003). A double dose of development: With university-school partnerships everyone wins. Journal of Staff Development, 24(3):38-41.
- Collopy, R. M. B. (2003). Curriculum materials as a professional development tool: How a mathematics textbook affected two teachers' learning. Elementary School Journal, 103(3):287-311.