Professor, Chairperson, Department of Management & Marketing & NCR Professor of Global Leadership Development
School of Business Administration: Management and Marketing, International Business
- Location: Miriam Hall 613
- Phone: 937-229-4928
- Email: Contact
- MGT 403 - Cross-Cultural Management
- State University of New York at Buffalo, PhD, 1986
- Marquette University, BA, 1979
- McFarlin has over 100 publications and conference presentations to his credit. His work has appeared in prominent publications such as the Academy of Management Journal, Human Resource Management, Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Organizational Behavior, and Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. From 1998-2004, McFarlin served as a Consulting Editor for the Journal of Organizational Behavior, one of the leading academic journals in his field. Since 2001 McFarlin has served as the Research Briefs Editor for the Academy of Management Executive (now Academy of Management Perspectives), a leading journal published by the major academic professional organization in management. And in 2005, McFarlin was named to the Editorial Board of the Journal of Management, another leading research journal in his field.
- McFarlin has also written several books with colleague Paul Sweeney. For instance, his most recent effort, International Management: Strategic Opportunities and Cultural Challenges (3nd Ed.), was published by Houghton Mifflin in 2006. Other recent books include Organizational Behavior: Solutions for Management, published by Irwin/McGraw-Hill in 2002, and House of Mirrors: The Untold Truth about Narcissistic Leaders and How to Survive Them, published by Kogan Page Ltd., London in 2002 (paper) and 2000 (hardcover).
- Cross-cultural management
- Organizational justice
- Executive influence processes on top management teams
- Enns, H., McFarlin, D., Huff, S. L. (2007). Getting Their Way: CIO's and the use of Interpersonal Influence. MIS Quarterly Executive, 6(1), 29-38.
- Chelle, R., McFarlin, D. (2005). Quality Research and Practical Relevance: Can We Find the Sweet Spot. Academy of Management Executive, 158-160.
- Sweeney, P. D., McFarlin, D. (2005). Wage comparisons with similar and dissimilar others. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 78(1), 113-131.
- Enns, H., McFarlin, D. (2005). When Executives Successfully Influence Peers: The Role of Target Assessment, Preparation, and Tactics. Human Resource Management, 44(3), 257-278.
- Sweeney, P. D., McFarlin, D. (2004). Organizational behavior: Solutions for management. Irwin/McGraw-Hill Company.
- Sweeney, P. D., McFarlin, D. (2004). Social comparisons and income satisfaction: A cross-national comparison. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology,77(2), 149-156.
- Enns, H., McFarlin, D. (2003). When Executives Influence Peers: Does Function Matter? Human Resource Management, 42(2), 125-142.