- Phone: 937-229-2510
- Email: Contact
- Introduction to Global Politics
- Human Rights and Global Activism
- Human Rights and Media
- The Politics of Genocide and Mass Atrocity
- Darfur: An Interdisciplinary Perspective
- PhD in Political Science, The New School for Social Research, 2012
- M.A. in Social Thought and Humanities, New York University, 2003
- A.B. in History and the History of Art and Architecture, 2000
- Research Network on Celebrities and North-South Relations, Learn more (www) >>
- American Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- African Studies Association
- Human Rights and Non-state actors: Celebrities, social movements, diasporas, multinational corporations, humanitarian agencies, and private military firms
- Peace and Conflict Resolution, Genocide, and Humanitarian Intervention
- Visual Politics of Human Rights
Selected Publications and Presentations
“Genocide Olympics: How Activists Linked China, Darfur, and Beijing 2008,” Chapter in Sudan Looks East: China, India and the Politics of Asian' Alternatives, Editors: Daniel Large and Luke Patey (Oxford: James Currey, 2011)
“Genocide Olympics: The Campaign to Pressure China over the Darfur Conflict,” Central European University Political Science Journal, Volume 4, Issue 4 (December 2009): 520-565.
International Studies Association Annual Convention, San Diego, CA. Presented “Amplifying Causes: Celebrities as Norm Entrepreneurs in Global Civil Society” and “The Transatlantic Effort to Save Darfur: Mobilization in the US and Britain, 2004-2008.” April 2012.
American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA. Presented “Diasporas for Peace? The Building of Transnational Coalitions in the Host County” for the panel on “Qualitative Investigations of Identity.” September 2011.
The Migration-Development Nexus Revisited: State of the Art and Ways Ahead, organized by SMMS Centre (Migration Scenarios and Social Change), Department of Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento: presented “Diasporas for Peace? The Role of the Sudanese Diaspora during the US Mobilization on Behalf of Darfur.” June 2011.
Italian Political Science Association 24th Convention, University of Venice, Italy: presented “Bake Sales for the African Union: The NGO Campaign to Promote Civilian Protection in Darfur” for a panel on “Humanitarian action, human rights and peace missions.” September 2010.
Ethno-Politics and Intervention in a Globalized World, University of Exeter‟s Centre for Ethno-Political Studies, Exeter, United Kingdom. Presented “Diasporas for Peace? The Case of the US Mobilization on Behalf of Darfur and the Role of the Sudanese Diaspora” for panel on Questioning Ethno-Politics: Diasporic Political Cultures, Subjectivities and Spaces. June 2010.
Midwest Political Science Association Annual National Conference, Chicago, IL: presented “Bake Sales for the African Union: The NGO Campaign to Promote Civilian Protection in Darfur” and “Divesting for Darfur: The Campaign to Increase Economic Pressure on Sudan.” April 2010.