Save the date!
April 5, 2014 - 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
The focus of the Fifth Annual University of Dayton/Miami Valley Hospital Healthcare Symposium is "Innovations in Healthcare Delivery" and will highlight several organizations and individuals who are making great strides in changing the ways healthcare is delivered so as to improve outcomes and lower costs. Dr. Marjorie Bowman, Dean of Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine will return as our moderator. The symposium will feature TR Reid, foreign correspondent who will discuss "The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Healthcare." Additional confirmed speakers to present include David Moen, MD, and Ken Coburn, MD, MPH.
Showcasing healthcare research.
New this year: For the first time, we will be hosting a poster session as part of the UD/MVH Healthcare Symposium. This event will be open to residents, medical students, graduate students in a healthcare related field, and undergraduates. The focus of this poster session is healthcare and medicine. Appropriate topics for posters include:
- Healthcare delivery
- Health and wellness
- Disease: etiology, progression, treatment, prevention
- Public health
- Translational research: Use natural science bench work research findings to provide a poster that focuses on clinical medicine implications and applications
- Other health related research
The posters will be judged by physicians and faculty with awards given to each category of entrant (undergraduate, medical or graduate student, resident). Abstracts for proposed posters may be submitted at this web site beginning January 15, 2014. The deadline for submissions is February 28, 2014. All submitted projects must have an advisor approval and each submitted abstract will be reviewed by the poster session committee prior to acceptance. All poster session participants must be registered attendees at the conference.
Further details including abstract and poster guidelines and requirements will be available in early January.
Guiding our students toward healthcare careers.
The afternoon student symposium is designed for students planning and preparing for a career in health care. All students are invited to participate in the afternoon sessions. We will host several panels of speakers who will explore a variety of healthcare topics and careers.
Past panel discussions and speakers include:
- First year medical students on applying to medical school
- Second and third year medical students on life in medical school
- Pediatric residents and medical students from Dayton Children’s Hospital, along with a few attending physicians, on planning a career in pediatrics
- Physician assistants
- Other medical professionals such as a podiatrist, an optometrist and a pharmacy student
- Dr. Joseph Scherger on the Patient Centered Medical Home model of healthcare
Further details and registration information will be available in January.
Event Registration Information
Registration for the University of Dayton/Miami Valley Hospital Healthcare Symposium 2014 will open on Monday, January 6, 2014. Please check back, as additional details will be posted soon.
- Healthcare Professionals: $50
- Non-UD students: $10 (includes medical students)
- UD students, Miami Valley Hospital and Dayton Children’s Residents: FREE
Contact us for more information.
Contact Kathleen Scheltens, Director of Premedical Programs for more information.
University of Dayton
Science Center Room 375
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-2361