- Academic Programs
- Opportunities & Activities
- Research & Scholarship
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
Welcome to Premedical Programs
The Premedical Programs provide a comprehensive approach towards entry into professional schools of medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine and other allied health professions. We offer a degree in both Premedicine (MED) and Predentistry (DEN). Our majors provide a broad-based scientific and humanities curriculum which satisfies the typical entry requirements of post-undergraduate health care training programs. Over the past ten years, UD graduates have gained admission to health professional schools at an average rate of approximately 75%.
The Premedical Program office offers a range of services and advising for students of any major with an interest in careers in health care. Members of the Premedical Advisory Committee act as both primary advisors to students majoring in Premedicine or Predentistry and secondary advisors to other majors. We offer many unique opportunities for students with an interest in medical school. Scholarships, grants, workshops, symposia and other events provide extra value for our students.
Students may enter the University of Dayton as premedical or predental majors. It is advantageous to do so because such students are ...
- thereby enrolled in a first year orientation section which focuses on the needs of students who intend to apply to a health professional school.
- assigned to an advisor who is a member of the Premedical Faculty Committee.
- included in services provided by the Premedical Programs Office.
The Premedical and Predental majors are identical, differing only in the stated intention of the student.
CURRICULUM OF THE PREMEDICAL OR PREDENTAL MAJOR
The curriculum may be characterized as an interdisciplinary science major with emphasis in Biology and Chemistry.
In completing the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Premedicine or Predentistry, a student can meet all of the entrance requirements for the health professional school of their choice while still retaining the greatest possible latitude in selecting science and non-science courses of personal interest.
CareersIn addition to preparing for entrance into medical school, the premedical/predental major also prepares students for employment in other health careers including veterinary medicine, podiatry, physician assistant, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, and nurse practitioner among others.
Opportunities & Activities
The Premedical Programs Office provides an array of services and programs available to Premed/Preden majors as well as other majors interested in applying to medical or professional schools after graduation.
- Membership in the pre-professional health honors society is encouraged for all qualifying students.
- An annual health-care symposium allows a connection between our students and local healthcare professionals.
- A monthly newsletter of events and information is disseminated to all interested students.
- Seminars and workshops are offered which help students learn about the medical profession and about the medical school application process.
- Guest speakers from various medical and professional schools come to campus for presentations and individual interviews with interested students.
- An application workshop is held each year for students applying to medical and professional schools.
- A mentoring program allows first year students to gain advice and support from upperclass students.
- Grants, scholarships, service-learning, internships and co-ops offered by the program and the University enhance classroom learning.
Research & ScholarshipAs an interdisciplinary program, we draw on the expertise of faculty from a variety of science disciplines. The research of faculty and students greatly enhances the teaching and learning experience.
Faculty & StaffThe Premedical Advisory Committee consists of faculty from various programs across the University. Each member acts as advisor to Premedical and Predental majors, and can also act as advisor to students with other majors who are pursuing careers in health care. The faculty and staff at right serve the the Premedical Programs.
The Premedical Programs office at the University of Dayton strives to keep a strong connection with our alumni, who we consider to be some of our best assets. We keep communication open through our Physician Connection and our newsletters. We encourage engagement through local health care symposia. Read more in the links at right and in the newsletters listed below.
Please feel free to contact us for more information about our programs. We look forward to hearing from you.
Premedical and Predental Studies Program
University of Dayton
Science Center Room 375
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-2361