Welcome to the Office of the Alumni Chair in Humanities
The Alumni Chair was established in 1993, with support from a challenge grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities and matching support from University alumni.
The Alumni Chair in Humanities provides leadership in establishing the humanities in the curriculum and in the broader intellectual life of the community; assists other humanities faculty in developing interdisciplinary courses; organizes humanities symposia; conducts research in the humanities; manages the humanities library fund; and maintains a visible presence for the humanities on the campus.
The current chair is Dr. Ellen L. Fleischmann (History). The previous five chairs are Professor Eugene August (English), Professor Michael Barnes (Religious Studies), Professor Richard Benedum (Music), and Professor John Heitmann (History), and Professor Patricia A. Johnson (Philosophy).
The primary purpose of the site is to provide information for UD faculty, students, and staff on the resources and support that the Office can provide.
Please contact us if we can be of assistance.
Ellen L. Fleischmann
Associate Professor of History
Alumni Chair in Humanities
Eugene R. August
Michael H. Barnes
Richard P. Benedum
John A. Heitmann
Patricia A. Johnson
Ellen L. Fleischmann
Programs & Events
Each Alumni Chair in Humanities organizes symposia, programs and events that promote the centrality of the Humanities on the UD campus. Current and upcoming programs and events include:
Humanities Research Happy Hours
The Alumni Chair hosts once-a-month small, informal gatherings for humanities faculty to discuss their research. For information on specific dates and sign-up to attend, contact Heidi Haas.
"Let's Go to Guantanamo!"
"Iraq, Violence, Memory: An Iraqi Voice on the War"
The 20th Annual Humanities Symposium was entitled Inventing Identity and featured the following lectures:
- February 26, 2013: Dr. Laura Vorachek, "Playing Italian: Cross-Cultural Dress and Investigative Journalism at the Fin de Siècle"
- March 5, 2013: Dr. Jana Bennett, "Theology of the Cyborgs: Inventing Identity on the Internet"
- March 12, 2013: Dr. Caroline Merithew, "Perplexities Enough: Agnes Burns Wieck and Making Class Disability"
- March 19, 2013: Dr. Ellen Fleischmann, "Found in Translation: Identity, Authenticity and Power in Representing 'Other' Women"
The Alumni Chair in Humanities offers the following resources for faculty.
Dr. Ellen Fleischmann, Alumni Chair in Humanities, and Dr. Jennifer Speed, Grants Coordinator for the Office of the Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, are offering a Grant Writing Workshop to facilitate support for faculty research. For details, contact us through the links in the For More Information box on this page.
Audio & Video Resources
Videos and DVDs purchased through The Endowed Fund for the Alumni Chair in Humanities are now catalogued in Roesch Library. Those used most frequently by faculty in the Humanities Building are housed in HM 466. The remaining videos and DVDs are housed with the Library holdings. The location is indicated on the catalogue listing.
Please bring your University ID card to check out materials housed in HM 466.
Funds are available for purchasing books and other educational materials that relate in some way to the humanities and that serve interdisciplinary needs. We can help with the purchasing of books that do not readily fit into departmental categories or budgets. All books that are purchased through this fund are housed in Roesch Library. We can also purchase DVDs with these funds.
To make a purchase request:
- Please check to make sure the library doesn't already own a copy.
- For a book purchase, please send the title, edition, ISBN, Publisher, date of publication, source of information and cost to Heidi Haas in the Office of the Alumni Chair in Humanities.
- For a DVD purchase, contact Heidi Haas with the title, cost and distributor or website where the DVD can be purchased. Please copy your liaison on the e-mail so your department knows you made the request.
466 Humanities Center
University of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-1549