Aerial photograph of the Immaculate Conception Chapel


If you have questions, we have answers. Our Frequently Asked Questions make it easy for you to find answers to your most pressing questions about the University of Dayton.

Financial Aid

What financial aid is available for graduate students?
Many opportunities exist to help you pay for the cost of higher education, including scholarships, grants, loans and assistantships.

How do I apply for financial aid?
If you are interested in applying for assistantships or fellowships, please contact the department in which you plan to enroll or are enrolled. For loan and grant consideration, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Submit this form to the processing agency and list the University of Dayton (CODE #003127) to receive the results.

How do I get in touch with a financial aid counselor?
You may contact the Office of Financial Aid at 800-427-5029 or 937-229-4311 or via e-mail.

What does is cost to attend UD?
Tuition varies by program and degree.


How do I apply to a graduate program at UD?
The best way to apply to UD is online. Application requirements vary by program and may include transcripts and test scores. Additional application materials such as letters of recommendation and your personal statement can be submitted online as well. Please see Apply for more information. International students should review the additional application requirements necessary to complete their application.

Who should I contact about whether or not my application materials have been received?
You can use our online checklist to see what documents we have received and what is still needed to complete your application. After submitting an application, you'll receive your Login ID and PIN in the mail. Then, go to and click the link to check your status. You may also contact the program director to follow up on your application status.

Where should I send my application materials (letters of recommendation, test scores, transcripts, etc.)?
All application materials should be sent to:

Office of Graduate Admission Processing
University of Dayton
300 College Park Dayton, OH 45469-1301

What are the application deadlines?
Application deadlines vary by program. Please review your program's admission requirements for specific deadlines. If the program does not specify a deadline, applications should be complete at least eight weeks prior to the beginning of the term you wish to begin study in order to ensure an admission decision can be reached. International students should review the international application deadlines.

When are incomplete applications deleted?
Any applications not submitted will be in the system for two years. You may access your application at any time using your user name and password. All submitted applications and accounts will remain in the system indefinitely.

Can I get graduate transfer credit?
Each academic department determines if graduate transfer credit will be granted. Generally, no more than six credit hours is transferable. You may speak with the program director about the possibility of transfer credit. All transfer credit decisions are determined after an admission decision is made. If you are admitted and wish to obtain transfer credit, you should speak with your academic adviser.

What criteria are used in the application review process?
Admission criteria are determined by the program director for your area of study. Beyond application information and transcripts, program directors may consider test scores, letters of recommendation and a personal statement when reviewing your application. Review the list of program requirements for the program to which you are applying.

Am I required to submit scores from a graduate entrance exam such as the GRE, MAT or GMAT?
Some program requirements include submitting results from the GRE or GMAT, while submission of test scores is optional for other programs. Please review the tests required for your individual program of study. International students are required to submit additional information as part of their application such as results from the TOEFL. Visit the international applicants' page for specific requirements.

Online application

Is the online application secure?
Yes, the application is secure by default with 128-bit SSL encryption.

What option is available if my browser doesn't handle SSL encryption?
If your browser does not support SSL encryption, uncheck the "Secure connection?" box that appears when entering a secure page, and you will be able to proceed to the application with an unencrypted session.

What should I write about in my personal statement?
Please submit a personal statement addressing work experience, research and study experience, and professional development objectives. Applicants should review the program requirements before submitting their personal statement.

Is there an application fee with my online application?
Our online application does not have a fee for domestic students. A $50 (U.S.) fee is required to process applications from international students, and the application cannot be processed until the fee is received.

Do I have to complete the application form, request for letters of recommendation and personal statement at the same time?
No. You are welcome to submit these materials in any order. However, to access the letters of recommendation and personal statement sections, you must complete certain fields within the application form.

How do I submit my personal statement?
Log in to the application and click the "personal statement" section. To access this section, you must complete certain fields within the online application, including your program of study. Once you have written and proofread your personal statement, click the "submit" button.

How do I request letters of recommendation?
Log in to the application and click the "letters of recommendation" section. To access this section, you must complete certain fields within the online application, including your program of study. To send your request electronically, fill in the fields for up to three recommenders, who will electronically fill out and submit their letter of recommendation. You can also call or e-mail your recommender and request a traditional letter of recommendation to be mailed to:

Office of Graduate Admission
University of Dayton
300 College Park Dayton, OH 45469-1301

How will I know if my online application has been submitted?
You can use our online checklist to see what documents we have received and what is still needed to complete your application. After submitting the application, you'll receive your Login ID and PIN in the mail. Then, go to and click the link to check your status. You may also contact the program director to follow up on your application status.

Can I edit or update my application once it has been submitted?
Once your application has been submitted, you cannot access it to make changes. Please review your application carefully before submitting it. If a change is required, please contact us via e-mail at or via phone at 800-837-7433 Option 4.

Will my transcripts and recommendations be put with my online application if they are not sent at the same time?
All of your documents will be linked to your student record, regardless of when they are received.

Why can't I access the letters of recommendation and personal statement sections?
Certain fields in the online application must be completed prior to beginning the online personal statement or letters of recommendation form. In the application, complete the following fields in the application: last name, first name, e-mail address and program of study. Once these fields have been completed, you may begin your personal statement or letters of recommendation.

Can I submit an application to more than one academic program at a time?
Applicants may only apply to one program at a time. If an applicants wishes to change the program of study after submitting the application, please contact us via e-mail at

Can I change my program of study after I have submitted my application?
If you wish to apply to a different program, please review the program's requirements. If you are certain you wish to change your program, please contact us at

International admission

What if I only have a three-year degree?
An international student seeking admission to any graduate program must have completed a minimum of 16years of education, including the earned equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. We recommend that applicants from India complete the two-year master's program before applying for graduate admission. Applicants who successfully complete the first year of the master's program may be considered for graduate admission. Course work taken at technical or non-university affiliated institutions may not be considered for academic credit. Any program of study must be officially recognized by the Ministry of Education in India as a degree-granting institution.

Is someone available to help me understand the special circumstances associated with applying as an international student?
The staff of the international admission office will be available to help throughout the process. They understand the differences in educational systems throughout the world, and they will identify the documents required to complete your application. You may contact the staff by telephone at 937-229-4351 or e-mail.

What score do I need to obtain on the TOEFL?
A minimum score of 550 on the paper-based test (PBT), 213 on the computer-based test (CBT) or 80 on the Internet based test (iBT) is required for full admission. An applicant who is academically qualified has submitted a score of 500-527 (PBT), 173-193 (CBT), or 70 or below (iBT) may be conditionally admitted to the University with the agreement that he or she will attend, full-time, UD's Intensive English Program (IEP) program until the requirement is met. An applicant with a TOEFL score between 530-547 (PBT), 197-210 (CBT) or 71-79 (iBT) may be admitted with the condition that he or she attend IEP part-time and register for a part-time academic course of study. Upon successful completion of IEP or achievement of an institutional TOEFL score of 550, or the equivalent, conditionally admitted students will be granted full admission. In lieu of the TOEFL, an applicant may submit official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores. A minimum Band 6.5 score is required for full admission. An applicant who submits a score of 6.0 may be conditionally admitted and attend IEP part-time. Applicants with scores below 6.0 will be required to attend our IEP program full-time. Please use the University of Dayton's institution code 1834 when requesting a TOEFL score from ETS.

Does UD have an English as a Second Language (ESL) program?
Yes, the Intensive English Program (IEP) can help if you need to enhance your English skills before starting your degree program. Located in the center of campus, IEP offers an intensive program to prepare you for graduate study at the University of Dayton.

What are the admission deadlines for international students?
Different admission deadlines exist for international students because of the time it takes to process international documents and complete a credential evaluation. Our official deadlines for international admission are as follows: Fall term March 1 Spring term July 1 Summer term January 1 We will continue to process complete applications received after the deadline. However, we cannot guarantee an admission decision will be reached in time to begin the desired term. The admission evaluation and review process takes approximately four to six weeks. We will send you a letter once a decision has been made. All pending applications will automatically be considered for the next available term.

What support services are available after I’ve enrolled?
The Office of International Student Services in the Center for International Programs offers international students assistance with areas such as immigration issues, counseling, personal advising, social and extracurricular activities, and emergencies. The friendly and experienced staff will assist you throughout your stay.

Am I required to submit a credential evaluation with my application materials?
No, the University of Dayton has a staff member who will complete an international credential evaluation. However, keep in mind that the credential evaluation will not be done until we receive all your application materials. Once your file is complete, we will complete the credential evaluation and then forward your file to the department to which you applied for an admission decision.

What do I need to do if I have already been accepted to the University of Dayton for a previous term and would like to transfer from another U.S. institution?
Because you are attending another institution and are in the United States, you will need to complete an updated online application. Please include information regarding your current program of study. In order to transfer, you will need to maintain a minimum grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at your current place of study. You need to have an official transcript from your current program sent to us at the end of the academic term. In addition, please submit the following to our office: 1. Any documents indicated in your letter of acceptance 2. A new bank statement with account balance and sponsor letter If you are accepted as a transfer student, you will need to contact the International Student Coordinator at your current institution to begin the transfer process in SEVIS.

What is needed to issue a SEVIS I-20?
Current proof of financial support is needed before we are authorized to issue immigration documents. This proof may take a variety of forms, including bank statements, scholarship letters or assistantship contacts. The most common form of proof is a bank statement that should show the account number and balance. We cannot accept solvency certificates for the purposes of issuing an I-20. If the funds are from an account other than your own, we must also have a letter of support from the person(s) providing the funds indicating the extent and length of support. All financial statements must be on original stationary and less than six months old.

Can I defer my admission to the University of Dayton?
Your admission decision is good for one academic year or two semesters. If you plan to attend another school prior to coming to the University of Dayton, please submit an updated application to our office. The following is required to issue you a new I-20: 1. Submit any documents indicated in your letter of acceptance (i.e. final transcripts, degree certificate) 2. Submit new financial documents including a current bank statement and sponsor letter